Friday, June 10, 2011

Fun Friday: Altered Apron

Well I did not get any serious sewing done today. I really should have. However my brain just could not handle it. My Beloved was ill last night. A call to his Dr resulted in reduced medications and he was ok this morning. Still I spent a sleepless night expecting to take him to the ER.
Once he was safely fed and off to work I laid back down and slept for... 5 hours! I never do that!

Then I had to tussle with my sewing machine, Baby, which I LOVE but she did not want her new needle put in. I guess she was tired after yesterday's apron and mending too.

Finally after about 30 minutes of fussing the new needle was installed and threaded. By then my brain needed something fun and quick and so an altered apron was born.

I do not know if you are like me or not. I always have too much stuff I want to keep next to my living room chair. To the point where I recently downsized my table from a 2 shelved rectangle to a small no shelf square. Just enough space for my lamp, tissue, note pad, Bibles and a drink. Some days that works, others not so much. What do I do with the magazines? What if the kitties knock over my drink on my Bibles?? Such great problems needed a solution.

Here dear ladies is that solution.

You will need
1 pocketed 1/2 apron
scissors
safety pins
some method of sewing
and a wooden dowel about 12 inches long.
This is my beginning:




The apron was made for me by a dear friend, but as you already know I just don't do 1/2 aprons. I also have very limited storage space. So if I am to keep it it must have another use. 
 
Cut cut cut:



Pin Pin Pin:





Sew sew sew:



Now to put it in place

Slide the dowel end between the cushion and the arm:

Hang it over the side:


Put the cushion back:


Fill it with things you do not have space for on your tiny square table. 
 


In my case I have a Country Living Magazine (new one!) Penzey's Spice catalog and one of my Bibles. I also put my back scratcher in there.


I hope you enjoyed this diversion!


Keep Sewing y'all!

4 comments:

  1. That is SO adorable!!! I MUST have one!!! Gosh, Mel, I really love the aprons you are making!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's adorable, Mel! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!! I love your blog!!!! I sewed the girls matching dresses last week but I've reallllyyy been wanting to make some aprons! Your blog is inspiring me! ;) ...Christy

    ReplyDelete